Sam Shropshire will be releasing his environmental platform at Back Creek Nature Park at noon...I'll report on it soon....It seems I had to write about it here to get a reply, but I finally heard from the Office of Law in response to my email of March 31 in which I asked, "Can you please tell me if it is legal to use the city seal (rose and crown ) in conjunction with a campaign?"
On April 17 (over two weeks later), this is the reply I received:
"Mr. Kling has just provided me with the following response to your inquiry:
The symbols can be used as there is no copyright. However, their use in such a way as to suggest an official City document or communication as part of a campaign would be addressed as an unfair election practice."
It seems to me that pretty much any candidate who is using this is doing it to suggest it is an official city document or communication. Attention--Kenny Kirby, Sam Shropshire...why not just remove the seal voluntarily? Or do what Scott Bowling does and put the flag on--not the seal? And while I am on it, I'll ask again if I am the only one who thinks it is inappropriate to be wearing a military uniform on a mayoral campaign web-site as well....
Please send comments, subscribe, share with your friends, and support our sponsors. Join us every Thursday morning from 8-9 am for our Sip N' Blogs usually held at Ahh, Coffee! in Eastport.
Bay Daily on Hiatus
-
Congratulations to Bay Daily creator, Tom Pelton, who has accepted a
position with another organization working to make the world a better
place. In his ab...
12 years ago


1 Comment:
Paul:
I have NEVER used the City Seal in any of my campaign material, on my website or in any other capacity. I agree with your contention, that doing so would be misleading to voters and potential supporters; giving the appearance that I am supported or endorsed by the City government.
I do display the Annapolis and Maryland Flag's on my website, however, I think that is quite different than utilizing the City Seal and giving the appearance of anything being officially from the City. Almost all politically oriented event has at least two flags behind the podium. I see no difference in my utilizing the Annapolis and Maryland Flag on my website.
I hope this clarify's my position on this matter. Thank you for your efforts, and keeping us all on our toes.
Post a Comment