Purcell (and Weikel?) Dredging Up Muck About McFall....or so they think ~ Annapolis Capital Punishment
1:

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Purcell (and Weikel?) Dredging Up Muck About McFall....or so they think

Peripatetic former resident and Wacky Weikel sidekick Craig Purcell has a thing (as does Weikel) against Trudy McFall. They recently started their own blog where they...well never mind. I've given them enough attention about that already. Hopefully this will silence them and keep them from sending me emails, both identified and anonymous. In their quixotic cyber-quest which they label "the Elusive Search for Truth in Annapolis Politics" Purcell sends me an email that reads:

"As a fellow blogger and close follower of the Annapolis political scene & current races I thought you might be interested in the attached document making the rounds of cyberspace - I am not going to publish it because my interest is not so much in the machinations & internecine warfare among the pols but rather on the issues such as ...." and he provided a litany.


I read the attached Washington Post article from July 23, 1994 about an alleged incident of malfeasance that might have involved McFall when she left her post in Maryland government. There were no other articles attached. I replied to Purcell:

"I guess you just can't leave me--or Ms. McFall alone. I don't know if because we both write a blog that it makes us "fellow bloggers" but in any event, that does not necessarily mean there is an kind of encomium. I also write a lot about public housing, historic preservation and all those other issues which you seem to suggest I don't cover because I focus on intrigue. Not true,

In any event, I have read this article and am making inquiries and will present it to Ms. McFall. Now that you have brought it to my attention, I will not ignore it, but I question as to whether there is much there. However as time permits I will investigate. Meanwhile, why don't you do the story? Why don't you write about it? Is it because you feel nobody really reads or pays attention to your blog but I have a meaningful following?"

In the meantime, I contacted McFall and her campaign manager Dennis Conti by writing, "The following has been brought to my attention. I did not ask for it nor did I go looking for any such thing, but now that it has been sent to me, I need to investigate. Please provide your response to the attached article. Any other articles, letters or documents will be of interest as well." I attached the article. I also raised the issue with candidate Josh Cohen and his Legislative Aide Gail Smith to see if they knew anything about this. They did not. All of this happened within a few hours and Conti immediately responded to me as follows:

"A full explanation of Trudy's departure from CDA and the investigation of CDA's financial advisor are in the Facts Check part of her website (look under Campaign Issues). The whole thing basically amounted to nothing. Also attached is a Baltimore Sun article about Trudy's departure from CDA. If you'd like to talk with her personally about this, she'd be more than happy to."

He provided me with his and McFall's phone number. How about that? An explanation was already on McFall's web-site! He also provided me with a Baltimore Sun article from June 08, 1994 which follows in its entirety.


"Two women credited with turning Maryland into a national leader in the financing of housing for low-income people have unexpectedly announced plans to leave their jobs with the Department of Housing and Community Development.
Trudy P. McFall, director of the Community Development Administration and a state housing official for more than a dozen years, and her deputy, Nancy S. Rase, who has worked for the state for nearly 15 years, both turned in their resignations recently, the department announced yesterday.
Housing advocates, lawmakers and others who have worked with the two through the years said they would be difficult to replace and expressed concern that the pace of financing low-income housing will slow without them.
"I'm absolutely mortified," said Ruth Crystal of the Maryland Low Income Housing Coalition. "In the last half of an administration, it is always scary getting the work done . . . . But Trudy's departure and Nancy's imminent departure makes me real scared about the work we need to get done in the next six months."
David Falk, a senior fellow in the School of Public Affairs at the University of Maryland College Park and a former aide to Gov. William Donald Schaefer, was named to take Ms. McFall's place. Mr. Schaefer's term expires in January, after which Mr. Falk is expected to return to the university, said Housing Secretary Jacqueline H. Rogers.
Ms. McFall could not be reached yesterday for comment. Her associates said she left to spend more time with her father, who is seriously ill, and because of nagging differences with Ms. Rogers.
"The department is full of wonderfully effective and powerful personalities, and I don't see eye-to-eye on some things with all my managers," Ms. Rogers said.
Ms. Rase said she resigned, effective Aug. 5, after Ms. Rogers denied her request to be promoted to Ms. McFall's job. The secretary said she offered the job on an "acting" basis with the possibility of being made the permanent director, but that Ms. Rase was not interested.
The Community Development Administration is the financing arm of a state program to increase the supply of housing for low-income families, the elderly and the handicapped. It manages a portfolio of loans exceeding $1 billion.
J. Joseph Clarke of Baltimore, chairman of the state's Housing Policy Commission, said Ms. McFall built her department "into one of the most sophisticated state housing finance agencies in America."
"Last year, Maryland CDA walked off with all the top awards given to state housing finance agencies by their peer groups," he said.
He called Ms. Rase "the best utility infielder in the entire operation" and said that together, she and Ms. McFall kept housing programs afloat in Maryland after severe federal cutbacks during the Reagan and Bush administrations.
Mr. Falk was an executive policy adviser to Mr. Schaefer who, among other tasks, worked on the governor's unsuccessful plan for a residential high school specializing in science and mathematics." (End of Sun story)

Apparently not satisfying Purcell by promising to follow up and doing so immediately, he wrote back:

"Are you and Ms. McFall working together as she pays you as an advertiser as does the Capital your piecework employer? My focus tends to be growth & development issues as they realte [sic]to preservation, environmental conservation and social issues -- and not politics, per se, except where they intersect.

I am simply not interested in internecine primary warfare between candidates nor do I find the horse race important.

As a fellow blogger I just gave you a hot political tip.

You do ask for rumor, innuendo & gossip, n'est ce pas ?

On a heavy day I get maybe 100 hits so I am not a contender nor a competitor - I only have 26 hits today on AnnapolisPolitcalScene [sic] and 12 hits on AuthenticAnnapolis - so you see I am just a lightweight... in fact I amy [sic] be getting bored of this whole thing -- blogging... "

We can only hope....For McFall's explanation, which has been published on her web-site for months (had Purcell thought of looking), please see:trudymcfall fact check

If any reader has tips or leads that are of some substance and not some vague claim from 15 years ago, please do let me know.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online