Delegate Ron George on the Environmental Scorecard ~ Annapolis Capital Punishment
1:

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Delegate Ron George on the Environmental Scorecard

CP just got a note from District 30 Delgate Ron george regarding the MD League of Conservation Voters Environmental Scorecard. A Republican, Ron has come to be known as a "Green Elephant" because of his pro-environmental views and votes:

Dear Paul,

These scorecards are eronneous to say the least.They pay attention to certain votes, mislead on others, and ignore still others.

I called Environmental Maryland and also noted to the League of Conservation that they left off the fact that I voted for The Living Shrelines Bill, a very important piece of legislation not on their report card. They also mislead people into thinking I voted against the Phosphorous Ban. That bill was voted on in 2007 and I voted for the ban. The bill about the Phosphorous Ban this year was not about whether to have the ban (I helped pass that last year) but whether to start the ban a few months later. It seems the bill last year aggressively sought too early a start date found to be unworkable. A later start date helped us get everything in line to make the ban we passed in '07 work. To imply I did not vote for banning phosphorous is bogus. This start-date bill should not have been on the report card.. They also left off the fact that I co-sponsored a solor energy bill that passed. The "scorecard" does not reflect the fact that I was THE lead sponsor of the Waterways Bill that they include on the scorecard. Similar legislature was unable to pass the previous 5 years. My effort was recognized as the reason it passed. I lobbied for it and united people. I did vote against bad bills that were not effective that were part of the Governors total package of bills. I will not vote for bills that create slush funds under the disguise of helping the environment. I am serious about cleaning up the environment.

I have supported The Clean Air Act, The Clean Cars Bill, The Chesapeake Bay Trust Fund, The Critical Areas Bill, The Living Shoreline Protection Act, Sponsored The Wetlands and Waterways Fund Management Bill, and co-sponsored multiple bills that promote Solar Energy, Alternative Fuels, and Rail and Monorail. That is not a failing grade!!!!

Calling this a Report Card makes it seem that our progress is a low grade when actually passing several additional bills per year is great movement in the right direction. I will not support bills that use the environment and education as a springboard to pass something ineffective. That is the reason so much is spent and little is done. I want effective honest legislation and my record shows I support it when it is.

Please do not fall for the careless disinformation that this "Report Card" projects.

Sincerely,
Delegate Ron George, District 30


To which I replied:

Ron:
Thanks for your note. I tend to agree with yor assemssment. They are constricted in their viewpoints. I'll be pleased to print your letter. This is why I was clear to say I was only reprinting it and id not endorse it. On the other hand, so called "pro business groups do exactly the same thing withe their "scorecards"--misleading with erroneous information and attacking striong environmental advocated for being anit business. Will you call them out on that as well? Meantime, can I count on your support for reinstating the 210 Bus to Baltimore and for exempting vegetable oil from highway fuel taxes?

Thanks Paul

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online