An Open Letter To The "Few Frustrated Chamber Members" Put Up or Shut Up Please! ~ Annapolis Capital Punishment
1:

Saturday, February 28, 2009

An Open Letter To The "Few Frustrated Chamber Members" Put Up or Shut Up Please!

Dear "Few Frustrated Chamber Members":

You copied a letter to me that you supposedly sent to the board members of the Annapolis and Anne Arundel Chamber of Commerce. None of you are willing to step forward and identify yourselves to me in confidence, or better yet, publicly, and make your concerns known in a substantive and verifiable manner. I called some disgruntled chamber members who spoke with me in the past, and none of them had any knowledge of this letter. Calls to Chamber President Bob Burdon and Board Chair Larry Ulvila and at least half a dozen board members went unanswered (One wonders what they have to hide, but shame on Burdon and Ulvila especially for not returning a call--which only adds to suspicion). The one board member who I was able to contact did not receive the letter, but he completely countered your claims.
I suggest you consider how John Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence as prominently as possible so that King George could read it without his spectacles. Similarly, consider the Ninety Five Theses that Martin Luther nailed to the door of the Castle Church at Wittenberg. Admittedly, the details may be somewhat apocryphal, but your letter's validity is questionable. Hancock and Martin Luther held to their convictions and opposed very powerful leaders and institutions at great personal risk. By so doing, they made history. The subject of your attack is not King George or the Pope and the Chamber is not England or the Catholic Church, so give us all a break. Right now, you "Few Frustrated Chamber Members" are just making a lot of noise under pretenses but if you wish to accomplish anything, you'll simply have to do better.

Please send comments, subscribe, share with your friends, and support our sponsors.

8 Comments:

John said...

I guess you may have heard this comment coming. But sometimes people prefer to remain anonymous for a reason. But, indeed it is your right, to request (not demand) disclosure on your blog.

But if it were me, I'd write about it(noting the anonymity)and see if it forces the Chamber to either admit or deny whatever issues may be.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John said...

That was me, and my eyes are fine! What happened?

John said...

Wait an not even moderated any more?

Paul Foer said...

Go back and read what I wrote about this last fall. Are you suggesting that simply because a person (maybe a group, but maybe one person) write a nasty, potentially libelous letter full of vitriol and opinion that I should publish it? Besides, as you can see, I can't even get chamber board members to return a phone call to confirm if they even got the letter. If you want to participate in libel and risk bringing on a lawsuit on behalf of a person or persons who are too cowardly to sign their names and provide any information--well, as you said to me, "indeed it is your right.".

John said...

You are protected by law. Comments and opinions of others on a publicly accessible forum are not necessarily those of the host owner (Google in your case) or the administrator (you). You are right, if YOU make the accusations, you may be in a sticky wicket, but if it is defined as third party commentary with your non-libelous opinion you ought to be fine.

It is obviously of concern or at least an interest to you, so my vote is to go with it. If it is indeed an issue, the Chamber knows where to go to give an opposing viewpoint or to clarify.

Paul Foer said...

That does not mean it is legitimate or newsworthy or even ethical to publish. Do you even know about this letter? If you're so anxious to go to bat for free--and yes at risk (despite what you say and I am aware of the recent court ruling)--for a person or group that anonymously places some demands without any substantiation--then go right ahead. Even if I were a lawyer billing every hour for what I get for months worth of my time here--I would not even do it. Now, unless you wrote the letter or can lead me to who did, and they have legitimate and real concerns that are newsworthy.....please leave it.

John said...

OK I am leaving. If it is not "newsworthy", "legitimate", or "ethical to publish"...why the post to begin with? Ignoring the letter likely would have had the same effect.

blogger templates | Make Money Online