Stupid Things We See While Driving.... ~ Annapolis Capital Punishment
1:

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Stupid Things We See While Driving....

This should become a regular feature. I invite your stories--must be from within 50 miles of Annapolis please.

1. A pickup truck on 95 south just north of Baltimore. Huge signs and stickers for every Republican candidate but mainly for Andy Harris adorn the truck. A sticker asks "Is it 2012 yet?" A sticker for McCain. A sticker for Ehrlich. All losers. But biggest loser of all is the man driving the truck--Andy Harris. And his license tag registration was expired. State Police please take notice.

2. A big SUV with a giant image of an eagle with the stars and stripes. A bumper sticker proclaims something such as "I'll keep my freedom, my faith, my money, my gun....and you can keep the change. " You have to admit--it is kinda witty....Aah those snarky conservatives and their stickers. I remember one sticker I once saw that read "More people died at Chappaquiddick than at Three Mile Island." Or how about "If you're cold, hungry and out of work, shoot an environmentalist."

3. I am driving behind a mo-ped as we exit from Aris T Allen Boulevard on to Route 2 South. A young fellow wearing a bike helmet with long, blond hair flowing out. He is wearing sandals. Shorts. Tee Shirt. He stops at the light and starts making a cell phone call. The light turns green while he fiddles with his phone. He can barely accelerate enough to get on to Route 2. He stays in the left lane. He can't get up to speed but he stays in the left lane and exits the highway just before the bridge to Edgewater. I wonder if he has passed on his genes yet--or if he will live long enough to do so. A bicyclist can accelerate faster, pedal faster and brake faster than a mo-ped and probably better than most scooters--and certainly better than those $#@^#&Z!!! Segways.

More scooters. More mo-peds. The changes are just beginning to be seen. What we really need are more accessible lanes for bicyclists.

Oh, and on my short trip to Calvert County and back recently, how could I not notice how at every light, somebody would put the pedal to the floor to get through a yellow light or one just turning to red. Sometimes I wish I were a cop. Flip on the lights. Call in the tag. Walk up to the car and ask, "Where is the fire?" or "Has your water just broken or is the baby's head already crowning?"...."Did I misread that speed limit sign for 85 mph as being for only 35 mph?"...."Where did I take that wrong turn off the autobahn? Was it at Munich or on the way out of Berlin?...I could go on, but....


Please send comments, subscribe, share with your friends, and support our sponsors. Join us every Thursday morning from 8-9 am for our Sip N' Blogs held in local coffee shops...except for that one in Eastport we used to patronize...ahhhh choo!.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online