Shovel Ready- Stimuli...the kind of change we can believe in...I am stimulated...I am stimulated... ~ Annapolis Capital Punishment
1:

Friday, January 9, 2009

Shovel Ready- Stimuli...the kind of change we can believe in...I am stimulated...I am stimulated...

This just in thanks to Eastport resident Chris LeDoux who has directed me to what our fair city is likely to submit for the grand Obama stimulus package (data from the National Conference of Mayors mainstreeteconomicrecovery ):





Project DescriptionFunding RequiredJobs



environmental impact programs 1,400,000 3



annapolis e z...a funding program for residents to reduce their carbon footprints and training programs to meet new green technologies 2,650,000 25



new silver led recreation center 13,000,000 25



911 technology 560,000 2



addition of emergency operation center at police headquarters 8,000,000 6



undergrounding of utility lines in the historic district 11,000,000 11



sidewalk improvement along all city streets-annual demand 1,000,000 4



match to Streets/Roads user funds for repair and maintenance of city streets 1,800,000 10



expand station passenger capacity for major bus transportation terminus 1,200,000 3



add new trolley system fromcounty shopping areas to center of historic city 1,700,000 6



expand bus maintence capacity 750,000 10



stormwater retrofits 5,000,000 2



nutrient reduction program 329,000 4



sewer line reconstruction 4,500,000 5



first urban watershed plan imploemented 3,200,000 7
Annapolis MDWater2 wells and 80 year old waterplant reconstruction 23,000,000 18
Totals:$79,089,000.00141.00

Gosh I am not sure where to begin but if we can get a chunk of that $79 million and change, that is the kind of change of change we can believe in. That's almost equivalent to our annual operating budget. The $23 million for water plant construction really concerns me--that's our water we're talking about! We need $23 million? If we don't get it, will that mean bonds and more bonds??? The transit guru in me is pleased to see the passenger terminal up for consideration...but where???? Trolleys from shopping areas to downtown???? I dunno 'bout dat. C'mon--we already have frequent bus service. Let's get local merchants to pitch in for upgrades. I'd rather see city-county cooperation before we buy vehicles. Maybe it can be applied to the mayor's dream of funding the 921 route...But hey--I'm open to ideas..The money for bus maintenance expansion is bogus as far as I can tell. We now have 4 garage bays for repairing a fleet of less than 25 vehicles. Where is there capacity lacking? I think what they need is better management. The $8 million for the police station and $13 million for the recreation center interest me as well. I thought this was for "shovel ready" projects. These projects have already broken ground--the police station retro is nearing completion. That must mean they have been funded--probably with state and federal dollars and bonds to one extent or another. Does this mean we're just looking for some payback--or what?...
Perhaps now we are all from Romulac...a province in France..I am stimulated...I am stimulated. For those of you who missed the funniest episodes of Saturday Night Live.....too bad (astronauts on the moon?? Ha ha ha).


4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

trolley service from shopping areas to downtown? Yes, please!!!!

Paul Foer said...

Nina Thanks for the note, however, right now, today--you can take a Brown Route bus twice an hour until 10 pm from the mall to downtown, a Gold Bus twice an hour, I believe until 8 pm and the Red Bus every half-hour from early in the morning until 7 pm. Have you ever used any of those buses? Please tell me why you think a new system will be better. They also go to Harbour Center, the medical center and many other places. And may I Ask why you prefer a trolley style bus? They are larger and less comfortable than the 30' low-floor buses we currently operate. I'd like to see the businesses play a role instead of begrudgingly allow buses to their centers---where they make them load and unload far away from the store entrances.(See my previous post about this....thanks)

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,

I know this is going to sound really awful, but I think we need to take the stigma out of riding the bus. If they could somehow market trolleys as something for leisurely shoppers rather than transportation for people who can't afford anything else, then it might convince people who don't normally take public transportation to use it more often. I've taken the Brown Route quite a few times and it's fine, but I don't think it's really luring people out of their cars. I don't mean to disparage our current system--I'm glad we have what we do. But I think a fancy, touristy-looking trolley might be one way to get non-bus-riders to take public transportation.

Paul Foer said...

Nina--Why apologize? What's so awful? As I wrote "C'mon--we already have frequent bus service. Let's get local merchants to pitch in for upgrades. I'd rather see city-county cooperation before we buy vehicles."

Why will you be more inclined to ride a larger trolley style vehicle with wooden benches rather than a sleek, low-floor bus with cushion seats? What is the stigma here?

I'm not afraid to say it--it's race and class!! As you wrote, it is "transportation for people who can't afford anything else." So, we forget the current system for transit "captives" and throw public money at a new system for the folks with money...and what about m idea to get merchants to buy in.....they seem to not want buses to deliver people to their stores.

However, there is much to do to improve our current system and we need to replace the director with someone who cares--rather than throw money at it.

Anyhow--we already have lots of trolleys running around--and they are uncomfortable. Why don't you write a more detailed piece about all this? Please see the video of my talk about transportation here on the blog. Thanks.

blogger templates | Make Money Online