More From the Anonymous Peanut Gallery of The Internet ~ Annapolis Capital Punishment
1:

Thursday, February 11, 2010

More From the Anonymous Peanut Gallery of The Internet

Just one of the many inane (and I assure you, a relatively pusillanimous and inoffensive one at that) anonymous comments  I receive from readers who still don't "get" the anonymity policy of this blog. And as usual, they are wrong. Case in point from today regarding a story on Senate President Mike Miller, who I said was from Prince George's County:

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Are You Reading The Mayor's Blog? Or MarylandRepor...":

Miller is not from PG County


Publish this comment.
Reject this comment.
Moderate comments for this blog. 
Oh really? Visit his own web-site www.senatormikemiller.com where you can read the following:
The oldest of 10 children, Mike Miller, was born on December 3, 1942 in Clinton, Maryland in Southern Prince George's County. Educated in the Prince George's public school system, Mike received his Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration from the University of Maryland College Park [also in same county I might add] in 1964, and went on to study law at the University of Maryland School of Law. Graduating in 1967, he was admitted to the Maryland State and Prince George's County Bar Associations that same year and has been in private practice for 40 years with offices in both Prince George's and Calvert Counties. [bold is my emphasis]
Okay smarty pants anonymous, does this explain why anonymous comments are not welcome here? They have no value, no place and are not credible. Without a real person to stand behind what is said or written ( as in yours truly) we just don't care. Now I dare you to identify yourself and write a "oops sorry" letter--if you have enough integrity or self-respect.

[Within minutes, I got another inane comment from this person, or someone claiming to be this person, saying he/she is "JS from Ward 8", using Comcast and Microsoft Windows XP with Firefox (could be hundreds of persons) who berates me some more, then asks if
JS from Ward 8" is "enough" for me. Well of course it;s not. Tell the world who you are! Stand behind what you say. I do it everyday--only to get @$#^!  from cockroaches such as yourself who only come out in the dark. This is what the courageous and high-minded JS writes "Paul, you are one sad individual. I do enjoy the blog for your political acumen, but honestly, when you veer from what you excel, it really is not pleasant by any means."  Aw c'mon JS, come out of the dark. Show yourself! And then if I insult or offend you as you seemed to be so worried about, who will look worse, me or you? You might get some respect from me if you were a real person.]





4 Comments:

Chris Ledoux said...

Kudos to you Paul and shame to those who do not have the courage to stand up and be identified and associated with the views they believe so important for us to consider.

Paul Foer said...

Thank you Chris

Despite some of the really nasty, hateful remarks that some people send to me, the thing that is so weird is when anonymous writers attack me by claiming that I do not publish views that differ from my own. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact anyone with an iota of wits can see I am about public discourse. It's okay to disagree. Conflict is everywhere. If a reader does not like what I write, he or she will have their comments published--as long as they are properly identified (and they are not from Criag Purcell). I pucblish every comment from Bob McWilliams and even though we verbally spar, we are civil to each other when we met--such as in the grocery store tonight.... Thanks Chris and Hello to Bob, two identifiable Ward 8 residents who stand behind what they say...unlike the supposed JS...

Eric Hartley said...

Clearly Miller's roots are in Prince George's, but he does live in Calvert now (http://bit.ly/d8gaDX), which is probably what the person was trying to point out. Why someone can't just use his name to make such an innocuous correction is another issue...

Paul Foer said...

Eric:
Since you are as aware of and affected by the anonymous peanut gallery as I am, it is good to have you weigh in on the topic. The writer was simply trying to stick his or her tongue out and say "na, na,na, na, na....you're wrong and I am right...but clearly, without attribution, ninety percent of comments are useless. Now, when there is a good tip or leak, I can understand anonymity, but even then, if I were the reporter, or you as well I would presume, we'd have to know the person.

blogger templates | Make Money Online